And yet another weekend I look forward to every summer is the camping trip I do with my Dad. Our first father-daughter camping trip was over a decade ago when I moved back home after being away for many years and we've gone every year since except during Covid lockdowns.
We used to go to a secluded spot at the end of a very long gravel road leading to a beautiful beach. Unfortunately, we have since learned that this spot is on private property and the owner has asked us not to camp there anymore. The past few summer's, we've been camping at Battery Provincial Park in St. Peters. It's not secluded and certainly not wild like our old spot but the sites at this campground are so large and set back from the road that it feels sort of remote.
We took the long way to St. Peter's through Marion Bridge, Gabarus, Forchu and Framboise stopping along the way at various points of interest. We stopped at the beach in Gabarus and walked along the shore searching for treasure with dad's new metal detector. We stopped in Forchu to take some pictures of the boats going out. We stopped at our old camping spot and had a picnic. By the time we made it to St. Peter's, we could check-in and set up camp for the night before the forecasted rain moved in. There was some thunder in the distance and scattered rain showers throughout the day but nothing compared to the downpour that happened only minutes after I retreated to my tent for the night!After we set up camp, we visited a couple of the museums around town and grabbed some supper at a restaurant in nearby Louisdale. When it got dark enough, we lit a fire and watched the night sky.
In the morning, we left everything up to dry and headed to St. Peter's for breakfast. By the time we returned, everything was ready to pack up. Dad headed home to same way we came and I headed to Point Michaud Beach to check out the Surf Competition that is held there every year. It's a beautiful beach with clear waters and large rolling waves but I was only able to tolerate the water for about five minutes before I got pins and needles from the cold. It was not nearly as warm as the water at many of the other beaches around Cape Breton!


No comments:
Post a Comment