Saturday, September 5, 2026

Festiville Baddeck - Another Summer Tradition

When I first moved back to Cape Breton after being away for many years, I immediately started exploring the little island I had taken for granted in my younger years.  I soon learned that Baddeck was a place I really liked spending time in and one such evening wandering around this pretty little village, I found myself in the middle of a lively festival.  I never heard about it before.  It might have been the first time it was held for all I know.  But from that day forward, I made it a point to always be in Baddeck during Festiville and it's one of my favorite events of every summer. 

For some years now, I've recruited a buddy to come along with me to the festivities.  This year was a little different because she had other things going on and couldn't make it so I attended on my own.  It's a little strange wandering such a large crowd by myself but you can easily blend in with people and there's always a familiar face in the crowd.  

I got some home fries and found myself a nice place to sit where I could watch everything going on and hear the live music.  Of course, it being a vacation day and special event, I decided to treat myself to some ice cream (I normally wouldn't have home fries AND ice cream in the same night!)  

When the evening came to a close and everyone started to leave the downtown area, I walked down to the docks and over to the boardwalk where I sat for a long time just watching the boats coming and going and watching some large fish eat smaller fish in the glow of the light shining on the Bras d'Or Lakes. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to find a decent and affordable hotel room near downtown Baddeck for this night.  I walked back from the boardwalk, taking the road along the shore.  It was dark and quiet and there wasn't not a lot of people around by that time, but I felt completely safe and relaxed.  I love living so close to a place like that where I can escape and feel safe and not have a care in the world! 

  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...