Friday, March 17, 2023

A Fall Trip Around the Cabot Trail that almost didn't Happen

It almost didn't happen. That one thing that I have to do every summer or fall.  The one thing that I've done every year since I was born.  The thing I look forward to every summer.  The quintessential Cape Breton experience.  A time-honored family tradition.  I'm talking about my annual family road trip around the Cabot Trail. 

All summer, I assumed I would, at some point, go around the Cabot Trail but as summer slipped away and fall arrived, it started to look like that might not happen. A  variety of things occurred during those months that threw everything off.  I started a new job, my sister moved home from away and was due to have a baby, a category 2 hurricane struck the island and caused widespread damage and there were some car issues. By early October, it looked like we wouldn't be going around at all.

The weather was nice at the start of October.  So nice that it prompted some discussion about a potential day trip around The Trail amongst my immediate family members.  We set a date.  We would go after all!

We couldn't have picked a better day to do.  Besides the fact that it was a Saturday and I didn't have to work, it was sunny and fairly warm.  We hit all the traditional spots along the way.  Coffee at Robin's Donuts in Bras d'Or, a drive through the pretty town of Baddeck, The Red Barn so the shopaholic in our crew could get their fix and Flora's in Cheticamp, the look-offs in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and, of course, supper at Coastal in Ingonish. 

After supper, we made the drive around the Keltic Lodge, stopped to check out the gift shop and parked for a little while at Ingonish Beach.  The latter being a request by me so I could admire that beautiful beach and the rolling waves and sip on my post-supper coffee.  I walked to Freshwater Lake, took in one of my favorite views and absorbed it all for a moment knowing that I wouldn't be back until the summer.   

The fall colors are usually at their peak that time of year but, unfortunately, the leaves had already mostly fallen from the trees in the big storm weeks earlier.  That being said, any trip around the Cabot Trail is amazing no matter the season or the conditions.  Being in good company certainly helps make it even better!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...