Friday, February 2, 2024

Hiking Along Cape Breton's Coal Town Trail

I've hiked many trails around Cape Breton, mostly in the Highlands National Park and around Victoria County but in recent years, I've made a point of trying out some of the trails closer to home, namely the ones close to my hometown of New Waterford and around the Cape Breton Regional Municipality. 

I've posted many times about my hiking adventures on the turbine road in The Gardiner and recently I crossed Gardiner Road and ventured alone the trail that leads to The Sandbar Restaurant in Dominion.  Yesterday, I decided to pick up on that trail where I left off and see how far I get along the Coal Town Trail on the leg that travels from that restaurant and into the other nearby communities of Bridgeport and Glace Bay. 

I went to work as usual and when my request for half a personal day was approved, I headed out at noon to pick up a friend and parked the car near the trailhead. I was excited at the fact that I had no idea what to expect along the way.  This is what I love about hiking new trails!

There was no wind but it wasn't a warm day by any means.  Below zero but comfortable with the sun peaking out here and there and our warm weather gear keeping us warm.  We hadn't walked far at all when we spotted out first nature sighting.  We heard it before we saw it.  High up in a tree was a woodpecker pecking away at a tree trunk! 

The trail started off in a kind of woodsy area but eventually opened up into a more urban landscape.  Sure there were fields, trees and streams but the backs of houses were only feet away from the trail in some spots.  Despite this, it was surprisingly calm and quiet except for the odd dog barking as we passed a little too close.  There were horses too and some fantastic ocean views from the higher elevations. 

We walked and walked and walked.  We crossed main roads and walked along quaint neighborhoods that I didn't even know existed.  After we walked for about two hours, we pondered turning around but curiosity got the better of us and we kept going around another bend to see what was next.  And than another bend and another....until we reached a dog park and a large pond with some benches.  We stopped for a rest and when the wind shifted and the air started to cool as the sun started to set, we turned back and made the long journey back to the car.  

It was dark and cold when we got back but also energized from all the fresh air and exercise.  It was decided right than and there that I would take another early day soon but next day we would park by that pond where we ended our hike and start up again there as the trail keeps going beyond that point.  I never leave a trail unfinished and this one will be no exception!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...