Saturday, November 20, 2021

Are Food Trucks a New Norm in Cape Breton?

I love food trucks.  It has an equal part to do with my personality and an equal part to do with the quality of food I usually get at these eateries.  

As you may or may not know, I'm quite introverted in my ways and I love being outdoors and away from crowds so naturally, I prefer take-out that I can eat somewhere outside with a nice view where I can watch the waves rolling ashore and hear the birds chirping while I enjoy a good scoff.  Food trucks are the perfect cure for me when hunger strikes on the road especially on those summer road trips around Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.

Food trucks aren't a new thing for me although, in Cape Breton Island, there weren't as many of them around when I was growing up as there are now. Hanging around in Sydney as a teenager, it was fries at the double-decker bus on the Sydney Boardwalk and Fuzzy's Fries on the Esplanade (without any condiments of course!). Smitty's Chip Wagon (Currently on Vulcan Avenue in season) has been around for a while and I remember going there after shopping with my mom as a treat before heading home. While the double-decker bus is no more, I highly recommend both of the other chip wagons which are still going strong in the Sydney area.

When I moved to Newfoundland for college, I developed an addiction to Ziggy Peelgood's famous fries and late-night snacks after weekend excursions on George St. was whatever food was available at the food truck with the shortest lineup.  There were hot dogs, sausages, pizza, homefries and probably some strange items that I wouldn't normally eat while sober. 

I moved back to Cape Breton in 2011 and every now and then I'd find a new food truck to sample. However, in the year 2020, it seemed like food trucks were popping up everywhere and suddenly there were many to try! With Covid restrictions and lockdowns, people still wanted to take a break from cooking and get out of the house but many restaurants were closed or limited in capacity.  Combine that with an economic atmosphere that wasn't exactly ideal for opening a sit-down restaurant, many entrepreneurial souls did what anyone with a lifelong dream would do; they improvised and I think they did quite well.  

I had the opportunity to try out a few during my travels around Cape Breton Island this summer and fall and I have to say, I was impressed with them all.  I got to try out some new foods the way I like it (take-out to eat at the beach at sunset or overlooking views of the mountains) and I supported some local businesses.  Some of the food trucks I tried recently have been around for a while and others are fairly new.   Here are the ones I tried out and what I thought:

1. Hot on the Trail Food Truck - Smith's Hill Road, Ingonish - I had the opportunity to try the food at Hot on the Trail twice recently and I was quite impressed both times. 

The first time I tried it, I was searching for a quick take-out meal to enjoy at The Point in Ingonish. It was quite by accident that I noticed the sign that said food truck with an arrow pointing up a road I had never been on, let alone ever thought there would be a food truck! I drove up to check it out and lo and behold there most definitely is a food truck!

I ordered the Bruschetta.  Yes, seems like an odd offering at a food truck but it was sit-down-restaurant quality - well-prepared, delicious and one of the best Bruschetta I've had in a while. The best thing-about this place is the diverse menu.  While you have all your standard food truck favourites like fish and chips and onion rings, there are other surprising offerings like the Roasted Harvest Vegetable Sandwich and the Hott Dog Sandwich. 

The second time I visited, I had three other people with me and everyone was pleased with their meal. I ordered the hot dog sandwich which was a grilled cheese with sliced hotdog and choice of toppings.  Delicious but also much too big to finish in one sitting. Yes, that's another thing; the portions are quite hearty so make sure to come with an empty stomach!

During both visits, I received friendly, down-home service and delicious, hot food prepared quickly.  The prices are great too!

2. Da Smokey Fish - Cheticamp - Da Smokey Fish is another food truck I found quite by accident.  I was heading toward Cheticamp in search of a quick meal after spending the day swimming at Inverness Beach and noticed the truck.  I ordered the poutine.  Being as hungry as I was, I ordered the large and it was quite large!  No skimping on the portions here.  The food was prepared quickly, it was still hot by the time I parked down the road and it was delicious.

The menu here also looked quite diverse with a variety of traditional staples and modern options and I believe the menu changes frequently as well. I know I'll be checking it out again next time I'm in the area! I think the truck is located in different places depending on the day but the day I found it, it was in a nice enough area that I didn't have to drive far to find a scenic place to enjoy my meal.  Then again, where is it not scenic in Cheticamp? 

3. New Chip Wagon - Glace Bay - Although Fuzzy's and Smitty's are my main go-to's when it comes to food trucks near me, I'm always up for trying something new, especially when a new food truck shows up in town.  I recently tried a new food truck in downtown Glace Bay and was quite pleased.  What seems to be the norm with food truck service is my food is always prepared quickly and with a smile and this place was no exception!  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of this truck. I only noticed it very late in the season and I have not seen it since! The only slight complaint I had was the fries were a little too salty for my liking but I'm a minority in that sense.  Most people like copious amounts of salt on their fries, I prefer mine bare.  The best thing about this truck for me is that it's closer to my house than the other two so it's a good option for when I don't feel like running to Sydney but want to have some fresh, delicious home fries.  Oh and yes, the servings are quite large here so either go on an empty stomach or be prepared to take the rest home for later!

 

 












No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...