Monday, October 9, 2023

A Delightful Summer-like Fall Day in Southeast Cape Breton

What a fall we are having here in Cape Breton.  A fall that seems like a late summer!  And you know it's great weather when even the southeast coast of the island is warm, sunny and without the usual fog and wind.  

I took advantage of a lovely day with temperatures predicted to reach 23 degrees with sun and light winds.  I headed to the Framboise area for some hiking and beachcombing. 

I love this area of the island because it's remote and there's never anyone around so it's the perfect place to unwind and get away from it all.  I started the day with a scenic drive all the way to Grand River and backtracked to the long, narrow gravel road that leads to Blue Lake and a pristine ocean coastline that I knew I'd have all to myself. 

I walked along the ocean in the sand until it became to hard too walk and crossed the dunes to walk along the lake.  I intended to walk as far as I could see, switching back and forth between ocean beach and lakeside beach but I found a lovely little beach along the lake where the dunes were high enough to block the wind coming off the ocean.  This is where I sat for a rest.  

Well, that rest ended up taking 3 hours!  That place was so relaxing, quiet and scenic that I couldn't get myself to leave.  I sipped on a cold beer and skipped some rocks in the lake but mostly just laid in the sand watching the eagles soar above and the white fluffy clouds go by.  

When I finally decided to get going, the sun was low in the sky and it was too late to keep hiking in the direction I had been going if I wanted to be back to my car before dark. I instead drove to St. Peter's for a coffee before heading home along the Bras d'Or lakes...grateful to have been able to enjoy another summer-like day this late in the year. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...