Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Celebrating Canada Day and the Official Start of summer

Another long weekend has come and gone and it was an extra extra long weekend for me with five days total to enjoy a fabulous time with friends, family and amazing weather. It was a weekend filled with bike rides, hikes, ocean swims, pool dips, family get-togethers and plenty of good food and beer. I even got to spend some time with an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time. 

 

Canada Day is always the long weekend that makes it officially summer for me.  The lifeguards start back at Dominion Beach again and my family heads out for our first outing of the season to celebrate the country's birthday at the Fortress of Louisbourg. Usually, the ocean water starts to warm up around this time too but that wasn't the case this year!  I went for a dip and was only able to stay in for about five minutes after my hands and feet went numb and I felt pins and needles everywhere else.  That being said, it was a refreshing welcome on a hot day and it was nice to not see a single one of those stinging jellyfish that are usually around at the start of summer. 

A few bike rides to Low Point Lighthouse, some hikes along Dominion Beach, refreshing dips, picnics, a scenic drive around Port Morien  and Donkin, sipping on beer at sunset, eating whatever I feel like without guilt...this is what summer weekends are all about....and it's only just started! 

This Canada Day was different.  My little nephew who was only born in December enjoyed his first Canada Day weekend.  It's so fun watching him grow up because everything is so new to him!  I'm sure he doesn't yet comprehend the meaning of the day but I'm sure he sensed something was special about it with so many people around.  

 So much more to look forward to this summer, so many more adventures to come!  I said this one was going to be the best yet and it's so far, summer is living up to that expectation. 

A family of Canada Geese on Canada Day!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...