Sunday, February 11, 2024

I'm Really Making the Most out of all this Snow!

Cape Breton is known for it's harsh winters especially when it comes to those raging blizzards in February and March.  However, the last few years, we haven't had a good ol' fashioned blizzard with a lot of snow and that meant no snowshoing these past 2 years.  

As much as I cursed the huge dumping of fresh snow we received here last weekend, I learned to embrace it and make the most out of it.  After the shoveling was done, I set my eyes on finding some fresh snow to snowshoe and I did find the perfect spot...and the very next day, I was able to go snowshoeing again in another perfect spot.  Imagine!  Snowshoeing twice in a row after a two-year hiatus!

As the temperatures climbed all morning and into the afternoon, I decided to head to Dominion Beach to try out the snow there.  It was 6 degrees and sunny when I arrived and I was afraid the snow had already melted or wouldn't be suitable for snowshoeing.  I parked at the main gate and all I saw was seaweed and sand but no snow.  I was assured by a friend that there was, indeed, plenty of snow once I got passed the bridge and sure enough, after trekking over rocks and mud, I was able to put my snowshoes on and trudge down the middle of the sandbar. 

I made it right to the end of the beach without having to remove my snowshoes and it was perfect!  I had the beach all to myself and was able to enjoy the warm sun until it sunk into the horizon to produce a spectacular sunset.  All the while, I enjoyed the soothing sound of the waves rolling ashore and seagulls flying overhead.  Geese gathered in the bay and made for pretty pictures and I spent some time studying the various animal tracks in the snow.  Hard to believe deer cross this sandbar because I never see them but their footprints are there!

It was almost dark when I got back to my car.  To be honest, I didn't want to leave at all.  I could have stayed out there all night!  Another storm is predicted to hit mid-week.  I'm hoping it doesn't impact us like the last one but I also hope we get enough of it so those of us who love being outdoors in the winter can enjoy it a little longer.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...