Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Year that The World Will Remember...and Try to Forget

It's here.  Christmas has arrived after a turbulent year that seemed like it would never end.  One more week left of the dreadful year 2020.  It wasn't a good start to a new decade and I know I'm hoping that shaky start isn't a bad omen of what lies ahead for the future.  

I think it's safe to say that not one person on earth has escaped the year 2020 without being negatively impacted by it in some way.  For me, I can say that it has been a tremendously stressful year.  Mentally, physically, emotionally and financially.  On a personal level, I've experienced loss of work, loss of income, financial hardship and the loss of my beloved companion, my 16-year-old cat Captain Jack.  Local lockdowns in my area resulted in a very lonely period during the early months of Covid. I live alone so not having close contact with anyone for months took its toll.  On top of all that, I am missing some people this Holiday Season who won't be able to travel home.

So that's my experience on a personal level. On a geographic level, my home province of Nova Scotia (where I currently live) suffered tremendous loss this year.  I mourned along with the rest of my province and country after a madman went on a rampage and murdered 22 innocent people in what is now known as Canada's worse mass killings in history. A Canadian military helicopter crash in Greece that took the lives of six people including two from Nova Scotia and a Canada Snowbirds crash that took the life of a young woman from the province occurred around the same time, adding more pain to my already heartbroken province.  And just this month, another tragedy when a scallop dragger capsized in the Bay of Fundy, leaving six families and a province still recovering from the previous tragedies, to mourn the loss of six men lost at sea. 

 If I look at the past year on a global level, the impact of 2020 on the world paints an even clearer picture of the year's impact on humanity. Over one million people dead as Covid-19 sweeps across almost every continent on earth.  Hospitals overwhelmed by equipment and bed shortages, massive shutdowns of world economies and businesses struggling to keep afloat. Then we have widespread deadly protests and a tense presidential election in the United States.  Add a massive explosion in Beirut, catastrophic bush fires in Australia and the western United States  and countless celebrity deaths (Kobe Bryant, Alex Trebek, Van Halen to name a few) to the list and, yup, it was a pretty hard year for us all.  Almost apocalyptic you could say. Certainly, one that will go down in history!  

For me, one of the things that is really bothering me is the division I see happening in my own country.  West vs. east, conservative vs. liberal, pro-mask vs. anti-mask, black vs. white.  Why can't we all just get along!  

But there's been some good in 2020.  I think collectively, most people have realized how important the things they once took for granted are.  Lockdowns meant families got to spend more time together.  I witnessed more and more people spending time outdoors instead of sitting in front of their TV's.  Children started spending more time outdoors too.  Materialism took a backseat.  Because many of us are broke, we had no choice but to appreciate what we already have instead of focusing on what we want and can no longer have.  

Here in Cape Breton, we had our own historic municipal election that saw a woman elected as mayor for the first time.  I'm divided on whether the discovery of the vaccine is a good or bad thing at the moment but time will tell on that one.  Certainly it's a good thing if it will curb the virus. However, for me personally, I'm a little worried about potential side effects of a vaccine that was developed so quickly.  I'm also worried about forced vaccinations and the possibility that anyone who either refuses it or is unable to get it will lose some of the freedoms they are used to.  I'm not against vaccines.  I will likely get it down the road if it's available and has been proven to be safe.

As I write this, my town is not under lockdown but there are some restrictions on Christmas gatherings. Further west in the country, residents are not so lucky. The virus is still spreading like wildfire in some provinces and Christmas will be much different than what they're used to.  It is my hope that everyone will try to have the best Christmas they can.  

I'm hopeful for a better year ahead in 2021. If we beat this virus and get back to normal, imagine the celebrations we'll have this time next year.  We have a lot to make up for! 

We will get back to normal one day soon.  It'll take time and effort on everyone's part but we will get to that light at the end of the tunnel.  But we will also never forget the year that was 2020.  So with that said, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays....and wishes for a better year in 2021!   For everyone, for the whole world.  This is the first time in our lifetimes that an event has affected every single person on the planet.  We got in this together...now we have to get out of it together.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...