Monday, August 5, 2013

Travels With A Road Dog - A Book Review

I love finding a great adventure travel book that not only takes me somewhere new and follows someone else's adventures but also inspires me and teaches me something about the art of traveling and adjusting to new surroundings and cultures...and Travels With a Road Dog, written by R.K. did exactly that.

This book takes the reader on a four-year adventure through North America and parts of Central and South America...mostly by hitchhiking and the best part of it is the whole journey was done by a young woman with an insatiable taste for the unknown. The reason it was so inspiring for me was because of how easy it was for the writer to just walk away from everyday life and give up all the comforts of home to head out into the sometimes unforgiving unknown, aka the underground culture that exists along the highways and byways of America.

Travels with a Road Dog: Hitchhiking Along the Roads of the Americas

The writer learns many lessons and survival skills along the way and I found myself unable to put the book down at times because the next page was taking me into yet another venture into unknown territory. I don't know if I would ever embark on an adventure exactly like this one but it certainly is inspiring to read about people who are turning their backs on material things, quitting their jobs and giving up the comforts of a home to explore the big, vast world around them. Throughout this book, the writer tells of meeting people from all walks of life, getting caught up in some potentially dangerous situations, experiencing poverty and hunger, learning a new language and developing a sense of fearless adventure that allowed her to be up for anything and to go anywhere!

If you are planning a long-term adventure or would like some inspiration to encourage you to plan one, I suggest you read this book because the real eye-opener of it is the fact that a young woman was able to do it and survive to tell about it with fond reflection and longing to be back on the road again.

1 comment:

RK said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed my book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...