Saturday, June 9, 2012

People and Their Stupid Questions!


I thought maybe this would make for an interesting post, especially for others like myself who always like to be on the go, living life to the fullest and not wasting valuable living time. One thing that I do not waste any time doing (and I'm sure a lot of other get-up-and-go types would agree) is watching TV. I'm not really sure how I developed this habit of not spending 4 hours a day planted in front of a box like the average Canadian or American does these days but I do know that I never had an interest in watching TV for as long as I can remember. I recall watching a few cartoons on rainy Saturday mornings as a child and there have been a few epic television shows that I followed religiously over my entire life (Friends, Lost and Dexter are really the only ones that come to mind) but other than that, I do not ever remember actually going out of my way or postponing other plans to make it home in time to watch something transpire in a box in my living room. In fact, at the moment, I do not even own a TV. I have no interest in going out and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars so that I can plant myself on my couch and waste away to a ton while watching actors live out their scripted lives in a box in my living room. No thanks. I have way better things to do! When I hear my friends talking about the new, expensive, surround sound, state-of-the-art, wide screen, large screen home theater systems they bought, I cringe; so many things that money could be spent on, so many adventures to be had that will now be replaced by a piece of furniture. I know if I came into a thousand dollars right now, I would book a trip to a faraway place I have never been to before but that is just me.

Anyway, back to the point of my post; being asked a stupid question. Yes, I realize that many believe there is no such thing as a stupid question but this particular question, which I have been asked on numerous occasions throughout my life, is, in my opinion, a stupid question.

So what was the topic of conversation that raised this stupid question?
"Television".
What was my response to being invited into this conversation?
"I don't watch television".
And what was the million dollar stupid question?
"What do you mean you don't watch TV, why don't you watch TV"?

Although I have heard this question over and over again whenever I tell someone I don't watch TV, it still catches me off-guard and still makes me want to just smack the person on the side of the head. But, as usual, I remained polite and answered their question the same way I always do with "I do not have time to waste sitting idle in my living room watching actors live their lives in a box while life passes me by". Pretty simple eh? Not to this person. She just could not get it around her head that there is a whole world outside of her living room. It was just too much for her to understand. I used to take offense to being asked this question and the snickers and jokes about my lack of TV watching that followed but now I just let it roll off my shoulders. Besides, the jokes on them; they are the ones missing out!

I find it funny when I am with a group of people and they begin talking about the dreadful thing that happened to someone or how someone got married or had a baby and after I inquire as to who they are talking about, I find out they are talking about someone on a TV show they watch. An actor. Following a script. Who did not really get married or have a baby or get into a dreadful car accident on the freeway. People who do not even exist. The world is in chaos with drugs, crime, war, corruption, economic collapses, natural disasters and all kinds of other significant events that effect each and every one of us and all most people care about is who is having a baby or getting married in the box in their living room! And, as I have discovered, a lot of avid television-watchers are not even aware of a lot of these things that are happening in the world because they are too busy living in their bubbles. On a recent trip down south, my main goal during that week was to see and do as much as possible and make the most out of being in a new place for the first time. Every evening, I made it a point to venture to the beach to watch the sun go down and walk in the warm surf while behind me, in the villas of my all-inclusive resort, the glow of television sets could be seen through the windows. Evidently, some people cannot even be away from their television sets long enough to make the most out of a vacation in a new country. It makes me wonder how these people will feel on their death beds. Will they think back to all the opportunities they missed while they were planked in front of that box? Will they reminisce about what could have been? Will they regret not doing some of the things they watched those actors doing in that box? Will they regret not going out and doing those things for themselves?

So yes, the question "why don't you watch TV" is a stupid one in my opinion. Why? Because the answer is obvious; I have way better things to be doing with the short amount of time I have on this earth and there are endless things to see and experience that take me far from my living room and nowhere remotely near a box with actors living out the life that I can have by simply getting out and living it!

*This post was not meant in any way to offend anyone; I do realize I am in the minority but I still have the right to vent and express my opinion from time to time :) Of course, I am open to your opinions on this matter too so comment away!



"Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each other". ~Ann Landers

"I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book". ~Groucho Marx

"Television has changed a child from an irresistible force to an immovable object". ~Author Unknown

"TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book". ~Author Unknown

"Television - the drug of the nation...Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation..." ~The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

"If it weren't for the fact that the TV set and the refrigerator are so far apart, some of us wouldn't get any exercise at all". ~Joey Adams

"Theatre is life. Cinema is art. Television is furniture". ~Author Unknown

"The triumph of machine over people". ~Fred Allen, about television

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there would be peace".- John Lennon











No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...